Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Awkward office conversations with people who are so different from me it could be said that they live in another world

I was in the break room today when I saw a woman who hadn't been in to work for a couple of weeks. I asked her where she had been and she told me that her Mother had passed away.

Then she said something about how it's just a product of the way life works and that death is very much apart of life but I couldn't hear what she was saying over the running tap.

I turned it off and she looked at me expectantly, I tried to search my brain for a profound retort. Something philosophically poignant that would give comfort to a person in mourning.

'Well-'

I started, knowing it was too late to stop.

'At least it's a good day.'

I concluded by nodding profoundly.  Her eyes darted away as if she had just caught two lovers in the act.

She then changed the subject.

I've never thanked her for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment